What do you think are necessary properties that a quantum computer should have?
The properties a quantum computer should have are given by are the DiVincenzo criteria:
- The system must be scalable with well-defined qubits;
- The computer must have the ability to initialize the state of qubits;
- Qubits must have long decoherence times;
- The computer must be able to perform a universal set of quantum gates on the qubits;
- It should be possible to measure the qubits.
We have to keep these criteria in mind when we choose the material for our qubits. For example, having homogeneous materials makes it possible to scale the system easily.
Which property should the material have to ensure long decoherence times?
The correct answer is:
A. Use materials with low density where qubits can easily be accessed for error correction.